Sunday 12 December 2010

Bohemian Waxwing


More Waxwings! But who could resist a flock of 40 of these gorgeous birds on a bright and beautiful sunny morning only a few miles from home. Typically, these birds had chosen to settle in the picturesque surroundings of the Tesco car park in Leyton Buzzard and to be honest, as I arrived I had an attack of cold feet and was almost tempted to turn round and drive home. There's something slightly cringe-making about bird watching in these sort of places, being stared at by shoppers who obviously think you are a bit of a twit and can't understand why you would possibly want to spend your Sunday morning watching birds when you could be Christmas shopping! Maybe it's just me, but I find the whole thing a bit embarrassing and it doesn't help being surrounded by photographers clad from head to toe in camouflaged clothing, which as we all know is vital for blending into the concrete habitat of a supermarket car park! Perhaps I will have to grow a thicker skin! Nevertheless the stunning birds soon took my mind off the hideous surroundings and I managed to grab these photos as the birds fed busily on the blood red berries of a group small Rowan trees, before suddenly flying off purposefully southwards.






Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus (Leyton Buzzard, 12/12/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment