Sunday 27 November 2011

There'll be Bluebirds over...

A few days ago I found a copy of Local Life, a free magazine of 'news and views', nestling on top of the day's consignment of junkmail that had been violently forced through my letterbox. Packed with gardening tips, church news and adverts for mobile hairdressers, school fetes (a fete worse than death) and Dog-walking services, the arrival of this exciting magazine is always highly anticipated in our household! As I trod the well worn path to the recycling bin I glanced at the front cover and it stopped me in my tracks. An attractive seasonal scene featured couple of Bluebirds at a bird table feasting on Mealworms, a photograph obviously taken in America. A quick glance at Sibley's Birds of North America confirmed, as I had suspected, that they were female Eastern Bluebirds. Obviously the twit who had chosen the photo had seen the reddish breasts and had thought that they were Robins! Unless of course there are a couple of Bluebirds lurking in a garden in the Tring area! Now that really would be something.....

No comments:

Post a Comment